Fungal Nail Treatment
Onychomycosis (or nail fungus) is a fungal infection that affects either the fingernail or toenail. Fungal infections develop over time, A fungal infection of the nail may affect part of the nail, the entire nail, or several nails.
Common signs of a fungal nail infection include:
- a distorted nail that may lift off from the nail bed
- an odor coming from the infected nail
- a brittle or thickened nail
Visible signs of a fungal nail infection include:
- scaling under the nail, which is called subungual hyperkeratosis
- white or yellow streaks on the nail, which is called lateral onychomycosis
- a crumbling corner or tip of the nail, which is called distal onychomycosis
- flaking white areas on the nail’s surface, which may include pits in the nail
- the appearance of yellow spots at the bottom of the nail, which is called proximal onychomycosis
- loss of the nail
Nail infections occur more often in men than in women, and the infections are found in adults more often than in children. Older adults are at the highest risk for getting fungal infections of the nails because they have poorer circulation and their nails grow more slowly and thicken as they age.
Until recently, there have not been many options for people suffering from toenail fungus. Traditional treatments are often times not effective and even harmful to your body. These treatments include: topical medicine (applied for 12 months and rarely effective), oral medication (taken for 3 months and can cause problems with the liver and kidneys), and nail trimming.
At Skintology Health and Wellness Centre we use a laser light to treat the affected nail and skin tissue, effectively weakening and killing parasitic fungi which have infected the nails. Procedure times may vary but are typically completed within 20 minutes. Most of our patients experience complete loss of toenail fungus with just 4 treatments at 1-week intervals.